Re: [LAU] OT: Modern film soundtracks

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2012 - 13:24:07 EET

On 14/03/12 1:16 PM, S. Massy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm no movie head, which is why I'm turning to this list. What would you
> pick as some reference/quality film soundtracks produced in the last
> decade or so?

If I can be make a slightly left-field suggestion, I'd check out some
video game soundtracks -- some modern games have really beautiful
orchestral soundtracks. One particular favourite from the last few
years is the Garry Schyman's soundtrack to the Bioshock games, which has
a frightening, disturbed beauty to it.

There's a great podcast that deals with video game soundtracks, called
Top Score, which features interviews with the composers. It's well worth
a listen:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/programs/top-score/

The Bioshock episode with Garry Schyman is here:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/05/23/top-score-episode-4-garry-schyman-bioshock

Thanks
Leigh