Re: [LAU] midi backend not working in qjackctl?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2012 - 18:46:25 EET

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> IIRC it was in April 2011 Jack2 1.9.8 from svn. Here hw jitter is close
>> to zero.
>
> then your definition of jitter is very different from mine.

let be me precise. the builtin (old) MIDI bridges in jack have the
following behaviour:

if, in a given process() cycle, they receive N different MIDI events,
they will attempt to deliver all N different MIDI events immediately,
completely ignoring the timestamps on each event.

if the process block size is small, this effect is fairly small. if
the process block is large, those MIDI events might correspond to a
time period of 20 or even 100msec. delivering one event from the
"start" of the process block and another from the "end" at the same
time is the definition of "jitter".