[LAU] Hydrogen --> Linuxsampler+Salamander Drumkit

From: Stuzz <stuzz78@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 31 2012 - 05:18:25 EEST

Hello LAUsers

You may be in a similar position to me, where for some time you've been
hacking away at Hydrogen for your drumming needs, but then along comes the
excellent Salamander Drumkit by Rytmenpinne in all it's .SFZ glory[1].
There are some great Hydrogen kits available like the two GSCW's[2] and
Big Mono[2], but when I first heard Rytmenpinne's Salamander examples I
had to have a go.

I use Ardour3 for all the heavy lifting for my recording, but switching to
it from Hydrogen for hand-programming MIDI drum patterns has been for me,
a little clunky. So just yesterday I set to the task of getting Hydrogen
to talk direct to Linuxsampler (via Jsampler/Fantasia) in order to get the
Salamander kit singing. I didn't actually know how to do it, but the
qjackctl showed me a jack-midi hydrogen-out connection so I realised the
capability was in there somewhere.

The results are available here:

        http://www.box.com/s/c0ee8662168a273ae474 - The linuxsampler .lscp file
        http://www.box.com/s/6a9073928d1853952b13 - The .h2drumkit file
        http://www.box.com/s/d6731d2515d335f149af - The .h2song file
        http://www.box.com/s/e273e7fc8646c7ca3c9d - And an .ogg example
        http://soundcloud.com/stuzz/hydrogen-salamander - The same .ogg example

For the .lscp file I only used Salamander's "All.sfz" file, and I *think*
the only tweak you'll need to get it to work is your location of that
file. Although, even though the JACK connections are specified in that
file aswell, they don't seem to auto-connect, so you'll need to do that
too.

I haven't investigated completely, but the 2 .h2 files are there because
1) The .h2drumkit contains the 30 instruments in the kit, and what I named
them, and 2) I'm pretty sure the MIDI-out note for each instrument is
stored in the .h2song file, and not the .h2drumkit :(

With any luck I'm not Pat Malone in my drum recording workflow, and this
will help others.

Good luck!
Stuzz
http://stuzz.bandcamp.com