Re: [LAU] Wavedrum <--> Linux ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 08 2012 - 22:58:48 EEST

Le Vendredi, 6 Avril 2012 20:42:29 +0200 (CEST),
Thomas Gramstad <thomas@ifi.uio.no> a écrit :

> I'm considering buying a Wavedrum,
> http://www.korg.com/wavedrum
>
> Does anyone have any experience using a Wavedrum with Linux,
> does that work OK? Which sound software do you recommend?

Got one last week. The Wavedrum does not offer any MIDI/USB
capabilities. So it is basically an instrument. As such you can
connect it to any stereo audio input and record as any other instrument
with the difference that the audio output is a bit touchy. There's a
note that comes with it that explains how to boost the audio.

The Wavedrum uses algorithms from Stanford University and Yamaha in
order to add DSP recognition of the *audio* of the player hitting the
drum skin. This is combined with traditional trigger-based input for
PCM sounds. As such, the Wavedrum on stage can produce feedbacks like
a microphone can.

That's the bit of story behind the audio output difference with other
instruments you record. The WD audio comes in two flavours, the
standard one, which is kind of low compared to other instruments, and an
augmented one accessible with a key sequence, which can produce higher
output but maybe with some slight distortion near the top.

Apart from that, a great instrument. Lots to explore in there.
Algorithms and many parameters can be changed and stored. I still have
lots of exploration to do with this.

Cheers.