Re: [LAU] EMail To Tascam - HARDCORE COLD HARD FACTS

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 02:28:09 EEST

> Ronald Stewart wrote:
>>
>> wait are you saying Focusrite is Linux friendly? thats weird because...

What is "linux-friendly" ?

IMO a company is FLOSS friendly
A: activly - if it offers free downloadable, distributable FLOSS
drivers with full device support
B: passivly - if it offers enough free,libre spec/info for any
developer to write a FLOSS driver with full device support

Which companies/devices are FLOSS friendly by that definition ?
For most users, including me this usually is difficult to tell.

If you go shopping, where is the logo " floss-driver in package,
supports gnu/linux " ?

Many companies seem to think of linux-support as an unwelcome investment.
Some may be even afraid of the power of freedom, open-source and
shared solutions ?

If you ask me, offering specifications for a device is
equal to 0,01 % investment (they exist anyway).

If companies don't - it's because of their opinion, bias, politics.

--
E.R.