Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 22 2012 - 16:27:33 EEST

On Sun, April 22, 2012 2:55 pm, lau@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On 04/21/2012 11:13 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Do other people here have any strong opinions on the usefulness of
>> advertising in the Linux Audio community?
>
> My company hosts a Linux-related documentation site that uses about 25GB
> of bandwidth per month, and I have a no-advertising policy (not even a
> plug for my own company). It works for my company and the project we
> host, much as vt.edu's hosting of linuxaudio.org has worked until now.

Considering that most server companies are offering 500Gb to 1TB of
monthly bandwidth for less than $20/month it's hardly breaking the bank
for you to give them some space.

> I wouldn't do anything for 50 bucks a year, myself, much less change
> hosting arrangements just to make an extra 50 bucks a year, but I guess
> we all have a price.

If you seriously are trying to suggest that I think Linux Audio is worth
$50 then you must have been ignoring my rants for the past several years.

> I can't believe you would be getting this worked up
> over so little money... unless your plan is for that to be merely the
> foot in the door, which seems likely based on your vehemence.

The point of canvasing for opinions is to get an idea of what other people
round here think of advertising in relation to Linux Audio. There is a
completely seperate discussion happening around the Consortium Policy on
Advertising. But as usual some people seem to be unable to make the
distinction. I am definitely annoyed at the response that the LAO folks
have chosen to run with. But that doesn't change my direction. I just find
it hard to believe that they are so adamantly against the whole idea of
advertising. I find it extremely hypocritical, irrational and short
sighted.

> As a user, though? Knock yourself out, buddy, I've got Adblock Plus and
> Greasemonkey. I wouldn't see your ad more than once regardless.

Well, as much as I would love for everyone in this community to click on
any ads that are served on sites I run, the few thousand existing Linux
Audio users are not my target audience. I seek to grow the platform and
make a decent return off the much larger global market of people who
haven't made it here yet. To be successful we need approximately 100,000
unique hits /month. With that kind of traffic we can expect to receive at
least $250 from Google ads and the sky is the limit with bespoke
advertising for targeted placements.

Without a doubt AVID and companies that seek to sustain the old system are
my competitors in this space. I seek to topple their precarious financial
positions by taking them out at the foundations. Although it won't be easy
as they seem to be able to print as much money as they want in order to
sustain their massive debt. At some point interest rates will catch up
with them and they won't be able to service the interest so they will have
no other choice but to declare bankruptcy.

At that point the media that depends on the AVID cash cow will be hard
pressed to sustain their massive overheads and that should drive other
companies and users towards the Linux platform where we will be waiting
for them with open arms...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd