Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 22 2012 - 22:07:45 EEST

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:28:34AM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> I'm not a member of the management-board; but my recommended reply to
> potential commercial businesses would be: "We don't want your money, we
> want your support, your cooperation and compliance. - We're happy to
> link to your site if it offers useful information, specs, software or
> supports linuxaudio - but we won't sell links."
I join in with the chorus in agreeing here. I don't think advertising is
particularly evil, but I do *not* think it belongs on the community
centre corkboard.

Another point is, if a company is Linux-friendly, it shouldn't have to
pay to be listed, it should pretty much be automatic. If we want random
"spots" on linuxaudio.org, why not compile a roster of friendly companies,
useful projects and websites and display one randomly on every page load?

Cheers,
S.M.