Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2012 - 00:12:06 EEST

On 04/22/2012 01:04 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> You do realise that many of the tools being produced by the Linux Audio
> Community are being used in the advertising industry which makes us all
> complicit in supporting it to start with.

I'm complicit in supporting it as I live my life, no way to escape it.
Knowing this makes me a lot more susceptible of things that allow me to
transcend this complicity.

> IMO we cannot avoid that fact that advertising and marketing is a very
> crucial component to global industry which enables the corporate world to
> continue to function. We should seek to manage our own channel and
> therefore the message and brand rather than avoid it all together out of
> some ridiculous fear of becoming Evil. We may even make enough money in
> the process to pay some of our community members and help them to be
> productive and motivated.

But realise what kind of community you're talking about. It's a
consortium, not a foundation for instance.

> If we continue to avoid the whole issue that is exactly what the "Evil"
> marketing companies and corporations would like for us to do so that they
> can have complete control over the message, brand, content and income
> stream...

The dilemma, should we join 'm to beat 'm or should we swim against the
stream. In this particular case I favor the latter.

Best,

Jeremy