Re: [LAU] rtirq - what does it improve, and how can I measure it?

From: Kaj Ailomaa <ailomaa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 07 2012 - 22:39:19 EEST

On 05/07/2012 03:29 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 05/07/12 15:16, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
>> I'm merely being interested in finding out more about what problems
>> exist tuning your machine for "pro" audio, since I'd like to participate
>> in making this easier for linux users in general.
>>
>> Right now, I've been looking at this particular area, and I'm trying to
>> find out what the problems are, which problems are solved, and if there
>> are any problems that are not solved.
>
> Maybe this Wiki article could be helpful:
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration

It's a nice page with a lot of good info.
For myself, I only need to add a couple of config options to a vanilla
kernel, and add myself to the appropriate group to get what I need for
live audio processing.
Which indicates that any other needed config to achieve the same
functionality on another machine is somehow hardware dependent.

I'm still unclear about things like the networkmanager, which only
causes problems on certain machines. Disabling it does not seem like a
good "standard" way to configure your desktop for audio use. Rather the
last resort, when you are having problems.
Perhaps it is impossible to get any kind of acceptable operation on some
machines because of hardware design, and no reasonable coding would fix
that on any level.
Fixing things can be done on many levels. Some are better down lower
down, and some higher up.
I prefer to have as little done high up, if possible.