Re: [LAU] OT: Behringer PSU UB-SPSU2 for an Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue May 08 2012 - 19:18:42 EEST

Hi Gene :)

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 11:13 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:32:50 AM Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> > When I turned on my 7 year old Behringer
> >
> Using its age as a clue, I think I would be gong through it with a
> "Capacitor Wizard" checking the caps in the psu in particular.

I guess I already found the problem. On the primary side there are a 1u
50V and a 47u 25V capacitor, both 85°C. Thomas said I should replace
them with > 100°C, even if they look ok.
I've got capacitors on stock, but bad equipment for soldering. Unsolder
already was hard, but I can't get it soldered, especially since the 47u
I've got, has got a larger diameter, since it's a 35V. Reading glasses
btw. are less good for soldering, I need to find a better tool to see
when soldering. Thomas has got some special glasses.

> I haven't a clue what it may be called on your side of the pond though, so
> I will describe what it does in hopes it might be recognizable as a euro
> made and named testing device.
>
> It is a small, low power oscillator, generating about 85 millivolts of rf
> signal, at a nominal frequency of 100 kilohertz, the currant it can send
> through a capacitor is presented on a meter, usually calibrated with a knob
> so that it reads full scale when the probes are shorted together.

Thomas has got Hameg oscilloscopes with component testers.

Btw. the capacitors I unsoldered are broken now, even if they should
have been ok before. Not because of heat, but to take hold of the
capacitors damaged them.

> Having a spare for that sort of thing is a good idea. Asking if it will
> fail is like asking if freshly poured concrete will crack. The "if" is
> wrong, the correct word is "when", because it will, always. :)

I'm not a fan of switching power supplies.

> Good luck Ralf.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Thank you Gene, Thomas tries to visit me in some hours.

Ralf