Re: [LAU] USB audio interfaces >= 8 channels

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 15 2012 - 19:10:37 EEST

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:07:36PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> It has only balanced outputs but otherwise fits the bill.

Usually you can use them as unbalanced. In some cases this
requires a special cable, but that's unlikely.

> What seems weird with with this box: it has a word-clock out but no
> word-clock input.

Not a real one, but it will sync to SPDIF or ADAT.

> What is not clear to me is
> if the balanced I/Os are [or can be] ground-lifted.

Better not. Ground lifting can damage your inputs unless

1. the inputs are physically isolated by a transformer
   (not the case),

2. the common mode voltage (the difference between the two
   grounds) is small.

Unless you have transformer isolation, you need a more or less
common ground. And then, if the inputs are really balanced and
you use balanced cables, there is no need to lift the ground.

Ciao,

--
FA