Re: [LAU] using linux to manage your gigs?

From: renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 17 2012 - 11:52:00 EEST

On Tue, 15 May 2012 14:45:42 -0500
Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I'm perfectly OK with emacs if I knew anything about it. :) I know
> it's a little OT to ask, but if anyone knows of a slow, to-the-point
> tutorial for emacs that will cover getting me cool with the keyboard
> shortcuts, I'm all ears. org-mode looks awesome, but those keyboard
> shortcuts are *damn* hard to learn.

Hi, I personally started learning emacs by reading the "Emacs tutorial"
that's linked to on the start page. It is good IMO. Then of course
it's a masthodontic program and, once you know the very basics, you'll
just google stuff as you need it (or use the very good internal help).

If you want then to use orgmode (which is all kind of awesomness) I
suggest to print out the compact guide - first list entry on this page:
http://orgmode.org/org-mode-documentation.html

Then again, once you have a basic idea of how org works, just read the
manual sections you need, as you need them - in your case the Links and
Properties sections as pointed out by Rustom.

So you'll probably won't care about the Agenda and TODOs (at least for
the moment), but you'll probably want to know how to navigate through
headers, Links, Properties (though these are only useful for Agenda
Views? not sure never really used them myself) and maybe Tables.

Have fun :)
renato