Re: [LAU] Track Cue List, "Red Book" CD Mastering, and CD burning

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 18 2012 - 14:20:55 EEST

On 18/05/12 4:01 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to master an audio CD of a live concert. I'm doing the
> mixing in Ardour, and that's going just fine. But, I have
> questions for some upcoming steps.
>
> - In the export section of Ardour (I'm using 2.8) I've seen
> stuff about exporting CD markers, or something to that
> effect. How is that used?
>
> - I need to burn a CD that's got song markers, but no gaps
> because that sounds strange (to me) in a live show. Is
> that controlled by Ardour, or the burning program, or
> both? How?
>
> - What Linux CD burning program(s) can make use of the CD cue
> info exported by Ardour?
>
> - I need to make my master CD conform to "Red Book" standard.
> What Linux CD burning program(s) will do that? One thing I'm
> told about "Red Book" standard, for instance, is that track
> one starts at -2.0 seconds, with the audio beginning at 0.0
> seconds.

The basic steps involved in the above are:

* create a new Ardour session and import the mixed-down versions of each
of the tracks you want on the CD
* arrange your imported tracks in to whatever order you want, with
whatever gaps etc. you want between them
* add CD track markers at the start of each of your imported tracks on
the timeline (including track 1)
* export the entire session as a single WAV file with accompanying TOC
or CUE file
* use "cdrdao" to burn the WAV to disc, using the TOC/CUE file

As far as conforming to Red Book goes, the advice I've seen is to leave
at least two seconds of blank audio before track 1; that is, before the
first track marker that you place on the timeline.

When I did this recently, I used this as my guide:

http://ardour.org/files/manual/ch-exporting.html

and wrote up some of my own notes about it here:

http://wootangent.net/2012/03/rpm-2012-post-mortem-track-order-making-the-cd/

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Leigh