Re: [LAU] denoising audio files

From: Ricardus Vincente <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 24 2012 - 20:45:53 EEST

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 10:20 -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> > So that's at least three cases
> >
> > 1. Unwanted ambient noises
> > 2. Tape noise
> > 3. Vynil noise
>

> Other cases I've faced are:
>
> 4. Power line hum getting into the recording system.
> 5. Acoustic hum from florescent lights.
> 6. Noise from photocopier drum warming getting into
> the power circuit with chirps every 12.6 seconds.
>
> I think Fons is onto something, find the cases for noise
> reduction, study the noise content, and devise or apply a
> suitable noise algorithm.

 The most common noises I need to remove are things like tape hiss
(quite common), AC hum (60 hz in the US and 50 hz in Europe), and some
obnoxious broad band background noise.

 For example, I have been mastering some live music sets, and this
particular festival is basically in a field, in the middle of nowhere,
so they have regular Honda generators providing power behind the stage.
They were careful to build a large sound-blocking barricade out of bails
of hay to surround the generators, but some sound still quite audible.

 I would like to be able to remove that sound, because it sorta puts a
crimp in some of the acoustic sets.

 Vinyl restoration isn't something I do that often, so that really isn't
something I would want at this time.

 Sadly, no one commented on my idea of creating a Kickstarter project to
fund software like this. Maybe there aren't that many people who could
use it. Kinda sucks, really, because something like this, when you need
it, you REALLY need it. In a very angry moment of weakness last week, I
considered changing platforms! :-)

 Rich...