Re: [LAU] SFZ vs. GIG

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 28 2012 - 11:04:50 EEST

On 28/05/12 5:52 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> RAM is the crux. You want to keep all the samples in memory so that they
> can play was soon as you press a key without waiting for data from the
> disk. But you're absolutely right: Never use lossy formats for
> instrument samples.

Why do you want to keep the whole sample in memory? As long as enough of
it is in memory to handle the immediate attack, it should be fine to
stream the rest of it. I believe that's what LinuxSampler does, and it
works very well with the 2GB Salamander Grand Piano, without needing to
take up 2GB of RAM.

Thanks
Leigh