[LAU] OT: Wait, did this just really happen?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 12 2012 - 08:27:58 EEST

Over the past few months, I have been deep into learning Clojure, and have been rather busy doing contract projects over the past year, etc, and not paying much attention to latest news.

But then I came across this:

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

Seriously? I remember the brouhaha over "Trusted Computing" about a decade ago-- even once found myself with a secondhand ThinkPad that had some kind of bootloader encryption chip built in (and unused)--, but I thought that whole idea died the death it so richly deserved.

Is it really back? Am I reading this right? All operating systems to run on any PC must be signed by MSFT? Certified machines will refuse to boot any loader that isn't MSFT-approved?

I'm not panicking, because there will probably always be enough CPU's and Mobo's available from China without all this corporate-ware installed. And if phones can be jailbroken then PCs can too.

But, still, WTF? Really?

-ken