[LAU] how much is contained in the .ardour file

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jun 13 2012 - 18:11:39 EEST

I didn't follow the thread, however, Ardour does support snapshots ;),
if undo won't work for what reason ever, IMO it's not a drama.
While I like the idea of automation, I don't like the automation
excesses we have today. Undo options for what software ever, are related
to the idea of one workflow, but there are different workflows.
If it would be possible to undo each step, you'll run into issues too.
The MUA I'm using for example doesn't undo a complete deleted word or
sentence, if I deleted char by char. It will undo char by char. Other
MUAs will undo a whole word or sentence, even if you deleted char by
char.

I'm often disappointed myself, that undo doesn't fit to my workflow, but
making snapshots is always a solution to be on the safe side.

Since I'm a Qtractor user, preservation by snapshots is very tricky, so
I welcome Ardour's snapshot abilities very much, when using Ardour2.

IMO undo is a feature we shouldn't count on, even if it does support a
history, as e.g. GIMP does, all undo "ideas" have advantages and
drawbacks.

If we call somebody names, we can't undo this, there are no undo options
by nature, we only can apologize.

Current pop music tends to sound unnatural, not only because of copy and
paste and loudness issues, but also because it's edited to death, by
automation, including undo options.

Ciao,
Ralf