Re: [LAU] First single made with linux audio

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 15 2012 - 23:29:09 EEST

[forwarding the second mail]
Hi!
    You can start gating or processing the snare manually, this of course is a
lot of work, but it might pay. Otherwise you could move the snare alittle more
to the center or even left and move something, that isn't on the snare channel
to the right.
    You can use a compressor as well to shape the peaks of the snare track, so
the ride gets lost even more. Perhaps not the nice way of doing it, but can
certainly be something to ponder.
    In general I would spread the sounds some more in the panorama. Put the
guitars - except the solo guitar - to the sides, so the drumkit has more space
to breathe there and the bass guitar gets some room as well. The thing I
learnt about guitars, is that their most important frequencies end at about
5-6kHz anyway. So you may put a rigorous filter on them. That would enable
some more room for the snare, ride and vocals.
    With that genre, I would have expected the snare release phase to be more
audible in the stereo panorama somehow. I mean the sound you get, when you add
a moderately short reverb (1-1.5s) and use some compression after that.
    As for the snare/crash problem: You could try to load them in a wave viewer
or something, that can display sounds in the frequency domain and see, where
they have their main frequency bands and try to EQ them out a little more.
    I don't think the general tuning of the snare drum is a problem. That sounds
OK.
    Byebye
           Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;