Re: [LAU] FireWire audio on Linux: past, present and future

From: Danni Coy <danni.coy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 17 2012 - 04:25:26 EEST

What it seems to be impossible to do is to find a laptop with a descent
firewire chipset. I looked for ages when making my latest purchase and
everything currently had either ricoh or jmicron. The laptop I got has
jmicron and it locks up within a few seconds of connecting my firewire
soundcard. Since then I have opted for a NI Komplete Audio 6 which has a
reputation for "just works" on linux. It is also completely bus powered
which means I can record without requiring mains power at all.

Desktops I don't think are such a problem as you can firewire cards with
which ever chipset you need in pci and pci express flavours.