Re: [LAU] OT: Wait, did this just really happen?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2012 - 03:28:58 EEST

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 17:11 -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 06:37:07AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Stand up for your freedom to install free software
> > http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot/statement
>
> Done, thanks.
>
> I find myself lulled into a (false?) sense of complacency because cracks and jailbreaks are so widespread even for tightly closed system (*ahem*, iOS), and, also, I can't imagine that Chinese manufacturers won't continue to make open motherboards/laptops/tablets available, so I just can't get panicked over this like I would if this had happened 10 years ago.
>
> Still, it's worrying. I signed the petition, for whatever good that'll do.
>
> -ken

Ken, we never know, it's better to sign up, than not to do, I already
entered the odd old Godwin stage on another mailing list. The only
important thing is, that the since days outdated list already included
more than 30k signers. At least the hardware vendors for Intel and AMD
boards should provide to disable UEFI.