Re: [LAU] Implementing a crossover with ladspa plugins?

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2012 - 19:59:00 EEST

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM, S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello, all,
> Here's a question for the fine DSP and accoustic experts on this list. I
> need to apply different processing (mostly reverb and compression) to
> different bandwidths of the frequency spectrum on a given track. How
> would I go about using filters to implement crossovers as flat as
> possible? Most plugins do not actually seem to tell what their rolloff
> curve is.
> Thanks.
> Cheers,
> s.M.

Your choices are limited by the bandwidth and center frequencies you choose.

When you choose the quality factor to get a certain phase/magnitude
characteristic, that determines your bandwidth:cutoff freq ratio for
resonant filters.

I would defer to more experienced members on the list--but I think
your best choice is to use 2nd order low-pass/high-pass pairs with
Q=0.5. That will get you a reasonable (but not perfect)
reconstruction and nice flat response.

To get perfect reconstruction--with the limitation of 1-octave band
filters--you can use wavelets and their associated mirror quadrature
filters.

Chuck