Re: [LAU] Jack chokes on merged device defined in .asoundrc

From: James Harkins <jamshark70@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 10 2012 - 01:02:20 EEST

At Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:39:35 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:

> At Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:02:44 +0200,
> Pablo Fernandez wrote:
> > I think this is related to the EHCI driver in your kernel version. Try
> > with a more recent kernel, for example, the stock kernel in ubuntu
> > 12.04. Read Clemens to understand the problem. Here:
> >
> > http://old.nabble.com/No-duplex-mode-with-the-EHCI-driver-and-USB-hub.-Is-the-problem-solved--td32799593.html
>
> Looks promising. I've hesitated to upgrade to 12.04 because of some reports of USB audio devices not being recognized :-O

Closing the loop on this -- I finally* checked out 12.04, and indeed, now I can get 2-in, 4-out with my FastTrack. Unfortunately, I get occasional xruns with this configuration (even with lowlatency + rtirq), but (at least with light use) I don't hear audible dropouts. 2-in, 2-out works without xruns.

So I'll test it some more, beat it up with some CPU-intensive SuperCollider code, but I at least wanted to confirm that this analysis -- the kernel bug in 10.04 -- seems to have been spot on.

Thanks a million! I never would have found that by myself --
James

* "Finally" = While the semester was still in session (the academic calendar is a bit different in China, with the spring semester ending early in July), I didn't dare do anything invasive to my system :) Now I'm on summer break, perfect time.

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@email-addr-hidden-world.net