Re: [LAU] Cannot set -C and -P devices using qjackctl

From: James Harkins <jamshark70@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 10 2012 - 23:39:46 EEST

At Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:25:42 -0400,
Paul Davis wrote:
> Not trying to be difficult, but ultimately I will need -Chw:1 -Pft4, where ft4 is defined in
> my .asoundrc. Not sure how to do it properly, if -C and -P are not the right way.
>
> its not ideal, merging the input as well into ft4 would be better. i assume that you've read http:
> //jackaudio/multiple_devices ?

I did read it, but I find it confusing. The example under "Linux" says that it's for two devices, both 2-in, 2-out. But the pcm.merge device lists only four bindings, which are either the four input channels, or the four output channels, or magically one binding represents one channel of both input and output.

This device has 2-in, 4-out. So, if it's the last case (one binding represents duplex), then it isn't clear from the example how to have a non-duplex pair. But if the example shows output channels only, then it doesn't illustrate how to include the inputs.

Again, I'm quite sorry if I'm being dense. I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and I've had to spend rather more time than I wanted in the last two days, reinstalling and reconfiguring software. I'm now at a saturation point where I'm really exhausted with looking at this or that document and trying to suss out what examples really mean.

I would be really, really grateful if somebody could modify the multiple_devices example to work for my card. I like DIY but at this point, I'm just tired. I sat down to work on some music. Two hours later, I'm still fighting with the soundcard (which, btw, was just fine yesterday).

pcm.merge {
    type multi;
    slaves.a.pcm hw:0
    slaves.a.channels 2;