Re: [LAU] Cannot set -C and -P devices using qjackctl

From: James Harkins <jamshark70@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2012 - 04:20:28 EEST

Message: 21
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 23:57:52 +0200
From: Ralf Mardorf

> > I upgraded my system on the recommendation of this mailing list,
> > because of a kernel bug that prevents four channel output on my device
> > in 10.04. I need four channels for a concert in a few months. So it's
> > either upgrade or cancel the concert.
>
> Don't upgrade during a production and before doing an upgrade, backup
> your stable Linux.

Yes, what you say is correct -- which is why I've chosen a time when I am NOT in a critical production cycle to do the upgrade!

I encountered the problem with four channel output, asked about it other places online and eventually here, and learned that it was due to a kernel bug in the Ubuntu version that I had been running. At that time, I was in the middle of a busy semester and couldn't afford downtime, so I waited until my semester break -- early in the semester break. The concert is not until late September or early October, just shy of three months.

Point being, I didn't do this upgrade on the spur of the moment. I did it to solve a specific problem, I timed it to allow plenty of lead time before the show, and I even installed 12.04 to a live USB stick to test before committing my HD to the upgrade.

Next... the new thread about what I really need. Maybe let's close this thread. Issues with jackdbus in 12.04 have been identified and seem to be the culprit.

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@email-addr-hidden-world.net