Re: [LAU] Zoom R16

From: Brett W. McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2012 - 01:10:16 EEST

Bob van der Poel <bob@...> writes:

Re-opening this thread...

> Just got a Zoom R16 last night. So, still reading the shit-awful
> manual we expect from just about everything we get these days (sorry,
> pet peeve!).
>
> I did some googling and it seems that linux can read files as a mass
> usb from the zoom, but not much more. Anyone with progress on this?

I was experimenting around with this some more today and discovered some
interesting things! I just tested with a Zoom R8 but assume the same will be
true for the R16.

1. I can use the device as a USB audio interface and it works with jack

2. It shows up as an Alsa MIDI device in the MIDI connection list (like in
qjackctl)

3. Connecting the MIDI ports to the mcu ports in Ardour works! I could start and
stop the transport in Ardour, for instance. I haven't test everything with it
yet, but this is a huge improvement!

Tested on Ubuntu Studio 12.04 (64-bit)

-- Brett