Re: [LAU] Chord finder

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 12:28:56 EEST

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:05:02AM +0200, Funs Seelen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

> > The pythagorean comma is (by definition??) the gap between B# and C where
> > by B# means the 12th in a circle of perfect fifths starting at C.
> >

> I would say "a possible gap". It depends on the used temperament, in this
> case Pythagorean (perfect fifth: 3/2). For example mean tone temperament
> doesn't care that much about fifths and uses 5/4 for major thirds.

Writing B#, E#, Fb, Cb or using double accidentals is first of all
a matter of consistent notation. A normal major or minor scale should
have all of A..G (ignoring # and b) in it and not repeat one of them.
That way the character (and the position of a note on a staff)
corresponds one-to-one to the note's position in the scale.

For example the last three notes of F# Maj. are written as

 D# E# F#

and not

 D# F F#

Now if the actual frequencies of E# and F need to be different
depends on the temperament. If they need to, and the instrument
doesn't have a separate key for E#, that just means you can't
use the F# Maj. scale with the given temperament.

Ciao,

--
FA