[LAU] Installed Fedora17, now trying to play sound

From: Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 06:44:01 EEST

I have a few low-level questions which I am a bit
embarrassed by, though hopefully with your help, I can
figure a few things out.

I recently installed Fedora17 on my machine with the XFCE window
manager and I am now just trying to play a sound file with "aplay".
The command executes but no sound comes out of my speakers.

In addition of the NVidia sound chip on my mother
board, I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which is
the card that is hooked up to my amplifier/speakers.

In the "Applications Menu" there is a "mixer" applications
with a "Sound card": drop box with the following options:

  > HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer)
  > FG0560 Live! Cam Optia AF (Alsa mixer)
  > M Audio Audiophile 24.96 (Alsa mixer)
  > Playback: ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Playback: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture: VF0560 Live! Cam Optia AF Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture: Monitor of ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture: ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture:  Monitor of internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)

I assume I don't want the NVidia choice, but which of the
others do I choose and why?

Also, in the "Applications Menu" there are the following:
   "ALSA Mixer"
   "Envy 24 Control"
   "Pulse Audio Volume Control"

Do I want to adjust any of these so that I can hear
audio out of my sound card?

Thank you.