Re: [LAU] a new song

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 16:54:54 EEST

Hi folks,

2012/6/12 Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:48:38AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> very interesting to go back and forth between these two. jason's one has a
>> much more natural vocal treatment, but yours has a kind of sparkle that is
>> nice to listen to. i found the vocal onset pretty startling in your mix,
>> but then the tone grows on my ears.
>
> That's a bit strange. I only used a compressor on the vocal, there's no EQ
> at all in the entire session (it was done rather in a hurry). When comparing
> the two versions, Jason's vocal sounds very EQ'd to me- a bit too much for
> my taste.
> The bass was compressed as well. The reverb is zita-rev1, and I also used
> zita-dpl1 post-fader in the master, set for a moderate amount of limiting,
> never more than 4dB or so.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Dave, love you're nice singing with that real blues feeling, and also
the simple, straight and elegant touch you give to it.

Jason, better clarity in the mix, and the result it reminds me a bit
of some New Orleans blues classic sound that wasn't so prominent
before.

Fons, result is even more "good old sound" because drums are more subtle.

Love them all, and thank you all for sharing.
A good example of how one set of recordings can sound really different
depending on the production/mix.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux