Re: [LAU] Installed Fedora17, now trying to play sound

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 21:31:46 EEST

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> But look at all of these deviced I can choose from
> in Alsa mixer:
>
> > HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer)
> > FG0560 Live! Cam Optia AF (Alsa mixer)
> > Capture: VF0560 Live! Cam Optia AF Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
> > M Audio Audiophile 24.96 (Alsa mixer)
> > Playback: ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller Analog
> Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
> > Playback: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
> > Capture: Monitor of ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O
> ControllerAnalog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
> > Capture: ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller Analog
> Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
> > Capture: Monitor of internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)

the relevant output is really what this command says:

   cat /proc/asound/cards

the complication is that some devices have multiple PCM devices on a single
card. then it gets a bit more complex. but in the common case, the "one to
pick" is hw:CARDNAME (as described here:

   http://jackaudio.org/device_naming