Re: [LAU] How can we convert money to fixing bugs in software?

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 23 2012 - 17:43:04 EEST

I think the problem of raising money for free software development is more
serious
than it might seem. Non-professional free software communities, by which I
mean
people who code things to use them themselves and do not aim for profit,
have no
infrastructure for monetary relationships. That includes not only
technical, but also
social issue - some will not take money on principle, some will not use
PayPal, many
would not be used to the idea of putting together a fund, etc.

I personally believe financing necessary projects is important, but I do
see that many
obstacles are on the way for such crowd funding. In particular, Linux Audio
community
is not large enough to fund a standard Kickstarter campaign. Additionally,
while the
mere number of Linux Audio users seems large enough, the diversity of
interests might
also stand in the way of solidarity in terms of what to fund. Thus, a
particular project
can receive only as much support.

L.V.