Re: [LAU] [Android|OT?] CamSynth - Just an experiment

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2012 - 19:25:00 EEST

On 07/25/2012 04:31 PM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On 25 July 2012 15:01, SxDx <sed@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On my device (un-rooted) I have at best around 40ms.
>> So for me, android is a no go for live stuff. ...
>> We are in 2012 dear google, linux can go much lower than that,
>> the devices out there are blazzingly fast, 40ms is insane.
> Android 4.1 brings ~10ms latency *on the right hardware*
>
>> But well, that's life. This is "consumer electronics" after
>> all. If angry bird works...
> There are use cases for low latency audio on consumer devices, and I
> think there is a push for a better performing audio stack.

Note though, that in this example program, while the audio output is
rendered in C, the final pass to the AudioDevice goes through java (the
java code calls the JNI code to render into a buffer). But since under
the android OS, there's just a linux system, it should be possible
(maybe with root access and some hackery) to access the ALSA layer
directly. And then it only depends on the audio hardware in the device.

Flo