Re: [LAU] klang

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2012 - 22:25:54 EEST

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:38:35AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:19:02 +0200 (CEST)
> "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > IMO Paul was right to come out full guns blazing on this one. After all
> > the effort that has gone into making Linux the most stable audio platform
> > over the years it is very dubious behaviour for this person to come out of
> > the blue with a direct challenge to the platform without even having the
> > courtesy to discuss it first in the LAD list.
>
> I found it odd that the klang developer has this thing for power management.
> My studio machine is not a laptop running on battery power, nor does it
> have a heat problem. I really couldn't care less about whether my audio
> subsystem allows the CPU to throttle back. My latency is around 5ms, and I
> don't have any problem with routing apps through JACK. My studio system
> has been very stable for years now.
>
> Not only is he solving a non-problem, but he's trying to do it without
> tapping the knowledge base of the people who have been working on this
> for years, and he's trying to do it in a way that is counter to decisions
> made at high levels in the kernel dev circles about using FP in the
> kernel.

I'll jump in on this power-consumption silliness, just because I'm procrastinating.

Almost exactly 3 years ago I did a 3-hour gig on an EEE using battery power. Unintentionally-- I thought I'd plugged in my netbook but I hadn't, and didn't discover it had been unplugged until I was packing up after the gig.

No problem, and I still had tons of battery left.

I was running an Ingo RT kernel, jackd, linuxsampler with a huge piano sample library, bunch of LADSPA plugins, fluidsynth, and probably some other stuff as well.

It was a duo gig-- me and a drummer-- and if anything had messed up I'd certainly have known it. Nothing did.

Yeah, anecdotes are not data, but still, neither is what this klang guy is on about.

-ken