Re: [LAU] OnDemand-performance was(OT: klang)

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 05 2012 - 23:54:39 EEST

On 08/05/2012 10:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 22:20 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> I really wonder why you are all raving about this.
>
> Take a look at your own NB [1].

That's why there's jackfreqd.

>> Disable PCI and/or PCIe power-management in the BIOS and also disable
>> EIST and C1E halt-states; and, the 'ondemand' governor will works just fine.
>
> There's no PCI/PCIe power-management option and no EIST for my BIOS.
> C1E already was disabled.
>
>> If you have an unlimited supply of power and noise of cooling
>> the system is of no concern: sure, use the 'performance' CPU-freq
>> governor -- reducing the number of possibilities in complex systems
>> usually increases reliability... which is indeed a good thing for audio.
>
> !
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1]
>> NB. frequency scaling _can_ be an issue when using jack2 (or tschak) on
>> a multi-core machine: The total system-load (over all CPUs) may still be
>> too low for the CPU governor to react, while DSP load is already at the
>> limit.

This is an edge case and very hard to reproduce and very unlikely to
cause any issue to normal users (Sorry Nando, you and your setup at
CCRMA don't qualify as /normal/. It's an awesome setup).

NTL, you could have left the link to http://rg42.org/oss/jackfreqd/
here. It's piece of software that can work around the described problem.

ciao,
robin