Re: [LAU] [arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 18 2012 - 04:01:29 EEST

Len Ovens:
> As a musician... One of the fundamental problems I have is that a computer
> set up for desktop use is less than optimal for music. As the sole bread
> winner in a family I must be able to use My computer as a desktop machine
> as well as for music. The best way would be to have a computer(s) just for
> music and remove a lot of the un-needed junk. It used to be that one tool
> could decide what services would run in what run level and simply by
> changing run levels I could have a quiet machine (most services turned
> off).

You might want to look into file-rc:

$ apt-cache show file-rc
Package: file-rc
Description-en: Alternative boot mechanism using a single configuration file
 This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to
 shut it down and to change runlevels. The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be
 converted into one single configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf
 instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also
 more flexible.
 .
 The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into
 the file method on installation, and convert the file back into
 symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are compatible through
 /etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and
 /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.
Tag: admin::boot, admin::configuring, implemented-in::shell, interface::daemon, role::program, use::configuring

Regards,
/Karl Hammar