Re: [LAU] how to install the real time preempt kernel in ubuntu12.04 and make it the defult?

From: Kaj Ailomaa <zequence@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 21 2012 - 20:44:35 EEST

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:27:59 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 19:21 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

>> at
>> >
>> > Maybe overkill: grub-customizer lets you choose whichever installed
>> > kernel you want to be the default.
>> >

>> Not overkill, since -lowlatency is a -generic, but with a different
>> configuration. Why keep -generic, if you don't need it for anything?
>
> Or else
>
> - you simply edit grub.cfg manually, as I did
> - you switch to grub legacy, as I did and edit menu.lst manually as I do
>
> :p
>
> Why making things unneeded complicated?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I was just pointing out why deciding boot order between kernels may be
unneeded, if keeping -generic and -lowlatency on the same machine, as they
are more or less the same kernel.
Don't see how editing files manually, and installing legacy software makes
things complicated compared to doing nothing at all.