Re: [LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2012 - 04:10:53 EEST

On Sat, September 1, 2012 1:27 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM, rosea.grammostola <
> rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 08/31/2012 04:56 PM, Nils wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:43:13 +0100
>>> Harry van Haaren<harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> Regardless if it was done or in the past or not It would be very nice
>>> of
>>> you to write an email to them.
>>>

>> Maybe an email from linuxaudio.org works better? Someone who speaks in
>> name of an organization?
>>

> NI already have inhouse versions of many of their software tools for
> Linux,
> and they use it in house for some development. I met with them in person
> several years ago when I was teaching in Berlin. They are quite big
> technical fans of JACK and of Linux, but they (probably correctly) see a
> tiny, largely irrelevant market for native releases for these platforms.
> They spent quite a bit of effort to get their standalone versions on OS X
> to talk to JACK if it is installed, but chose not to document this because
> hardly anyone wants it and when they do, they figure it out for
> themselves.
>
> A lot of people (even on this list) don't understand the extent to which
> *supporting* a piece of software is often a far bigger cost than the
> initial development, and providing support for a platform with very few
> users is an issue for companies who want their customer service reputation
> to be very good (as NI does). It doesn't work for companies like this to
> just release something "into the wild" and forget about it.

That's why it is time for the full scale of the Linux Audio community to
be effectively realised. I'm not talking about the people active on this
list. There is an absolutely massive installation base across the planet
of people who use Linux Audio tools but only a tiny fraction of them are
actually making the effort to directly contribute.

We should be able to make an educated guess as to how many people are
really using the tools we make based on the number of downloads of the
actual software, the number of installs of OS's that are running the
software and a general hands up accounting process.

Figuring out where to start counting when there is so much to get through
is the hard part.

For example people who use firefox or chrome would be a good start. They
are most likely the ones who will also be using Linux Audio Tools.

Another example, Behringer ships Audacity with every single product they
sell. Clearly the global market leader for audio production hardware sees
some value in open source too. We can get an idea of their market base by
looking at their end of year or quarterly financial reports.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd