Re: [LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2012 - 21:43:18 EEST

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:47 AM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 2012-09-01 07:54, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 15:50 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>>> The movie industry
>>>

>> Linux isn't use by the movie industry for everything
>>

> You are soooo wrong!
>
> They all love Linux. "They" in this case are Hollywood based WB,
> Technicolor and LA Center Studios. Probably others too. Their Datacenters
> runs almost exclusively on it. While it's true that actual editing work
> happens predominantly on Win/AVID, there is some customized HW/SW around
> (e.g. for color-correction) that is Linux-based and the amount of it is
> rising quickly due to fact that it can be customized, adapted and
> maintained much more easily than Win or OSX. None of it is free-software,
> though.
>
> best,
> robin

I want to point out and repeat what Robin actually said here, as this is on
two lists and it is hard for me to follow what post is on what list as I
read them all as one thread...

The Movie Industry DOES use Linux, HOWEVER it is primarily on render farms,
and backend support. The majority of the editing, mixing, etc. does not
happen on Linux yet, sorry.

A short time ago I went looking for, and demo'd the available options for,
a decent video editor on Linux that could do a simple task. Allow me to
easily, and quickly, green screen out a source clip, and overlay it on top
of a background and layer in additional generated content (Titles, images,
etc.) in between them and on top of them(While obviously maintaining a high
level of quality). The end result? I purchased Final Cut Pro X (Already
had Final Cut Studio) and do the work on my mac laptop. I hope to see
something like Lightworks change this, but honestly I wasn't able to work
nearly as quickly in the tools that could do this basic workflow(And I am
on a timeline where I would have an afternoon or less to get the work done
before I have to do other projects, and that includes editing the audio),
and many tools I expected to be able to do this (The Blender NLE for
instance) couldn't in a way that was close to acceptable for the timeline I
needed to work in(And I specifically went asking several people that are
fairly knowledgeable in using the NLE and all aspects of Blender as well
when I found I couldn't do it myself).

Even with this, I have now hired on a couple of people to pick up the video
work so that I can concentrate on audio. Sadly right now there are severe
limitations on this even. My primary workstation is Linux for the record,
I accept audio stems and work on them and render out new audio for them to
remux to the video. If they haven't got something cut I can use, I either
have to manually pull in the original audio, find the section they used,
and recut it, and manually pull it into sync, or I have to get them to
redit and rexport the audio. Why? Because I am dealing with people on at
least two different platforms and currently there isn't a good solution for
AAF or OMF that works with ArdourXChange out of FInal Cut Pro (Either
Studio, which I tested with John without Automatic Duck that no longer
exists, or X as Automatic Duck went no longer exists and I can't even their
previously released plugin for X anymore, and am now hearing the
laternatives dont' work well either and there is no option to write to it
from FCPX).

Or I can go into Windows and possibly use AATranslator, which by all
accounts I have heard is great software and would do what I want, but I
don't have a Windows machine and we are discussing native solutions on
Linux.

So what I have right now is a substandard solution, that thankfully I am
typically either just doing basic edits on long pieces or working on short
(approx 5 min) clips so that I can deal with it. But doing a full length
feature having to work with dozens if not hundreds of others on such a
workflow? Talk about painful. This doesn't include mixing in a so called
'standard' destination format like 5.1 etc. that is also still fairly
painful on Linux, even with the revamped VBAP panner in A3.

Now don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I don't enjoy working in Linux.
Most of my stuff is primarily stereo destined, I thoroughly enjoy working
in Ardour and Mixbus in Linux with Jadeo for doing sound for video, or
editing down music, etc. But it works for me because I know how to work in
it, and don't need to relearn the 'quirks' of the workflow etc. I can work
faster in Linux than I can on OS X using the same tools. But many tools
just don't exist that would enable a true workflow as is needed for it to
become popular for a majority of uses that many people are using the other
OSes for. I didn't submit bug reports to each of those pieces of software
I tried above.. I probably should have, but was under a very tight
timeline, especially then as I was doing at least two people's jobs. And
this is true of most 'professionals' in the industry. If it can't be fixed
quick then it is broken and you have to move on to get other work done and
bills payed.

In particular Blender with 3D is doing amazing work, but it is only one
piece of the puzzle. I am looking forward to reading up on their success
with their new open movie, where they started incorporating blender into a
live workflow, and seeing how they did, I hope it addresses some of the
reasons I couldn't use it above, honestly. I enjoy using Blender for the
little 3D work I do, and would have enjoyed using it for the video work as
well quite likely.

Remember, most of the 'professional' users of software in the industry
aren't the really big houses(Unless talking about very specialized
software). They are the smaller commercial studios, project studios,
independant companies, etc that outnumber the larger studios tremendously
and typically do a lot of the commercial work(Commercials, but also
industrials like training videos for companies, corporations, release
videos, etc.)

         Seablade