Re: [LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24) - Once again free samples, this time more uplifting

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2012 - 01:33:29 EEST

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Florian Schirmer
<florian.schirmer@email-addr-hidden-instruments.de> wrote:

> On 31.08.2012, at 02:06, Nils <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> Sadly many of those instruments are in .nki or .nk* format which is the
> Kontakt Player or Kontakt Something Fullversion format.
> The wave samples are (often? by design?) there as plain files, but it is
> hard work to guess how they should be arranged and what is needed. As far as
> I know the kontakt format has more features, such as scripting, than sfz,
> which is currently the "Linux sample flagship". I hope I am wrong here.
>

> No, you're correct. As i've written in my other mail to LAD, todays sample
> libraries are much more than samples and the respective mapping on keys /
> velocity layers. Scripting and all the advanced engine features is what
> makes the difference. Just extracting the samples and mapping information
> from a Kontakt library will end up in very disappointing results.

This is what we have discovered with free libraries like Sonatina --
the mappings are there but not much else (not even velocity layers),
many of the instruments don't even seem to work correctly with MIDI
CCs. They work OK in Linux Sampler, but are still pretty weak compared
to what is available commercially.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com