Re: [LAU] Linux FLOSS video

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2012 - 22:27:40 EEST

On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 14:50 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > They also used an animation table. I prefer films made with an animation
> > table, to computer animated films, but especially at home, you can't
> > draw all the movments, even if you reduce the frames to a minimum. If
> > you want to make an animation film at home, without 100 people drawing,
> > then you need software.
>
> Ever heard of Bill Plympton? He still draws all of his animation by
> hand, with paper and pencil, and even does a lot of coloring by hand,
> using pencils. I believe John Kricfalusi still draws with an animation
> disk, but uses ToonBoom for inking and coloring (the same could be
> done with Synfig or Inkscape).
>
> A lot of hand-drawn animation is being done on Cintiqs now, digitally,
> but still drawn by hand, frame by frame. Paul Fierlinger did his last
> feature, "My Dog Tulip", entirely by himself using TVPaint and a Wacom
> tablet, you don't need 100s of animators to do this, just time and
> dedication.
>
> Anyway, we are going way off topic here, as this is only tangentially
> related to Linux audio.

It's not OT, since film/video and audio are related. Patrick asked what
is provided and used on Mac and Windows and missing for Linux.
Excepted of Linux stand alone devices, resp. special hardware/software
solutions nobody can't have at home, perhaps Robin can, but usually we
can't pay for it and excepted of some people drawing a complete
animation film alone, there is software available, that isn't available
for Linux. So, if Patrick wants to make more companies taking care about
Linux, then it's useless to argue with unpayable professional film gear,
as Robin did and it's useless to claim, that some software isn't needed,
because it can be done without this software.
I'm using Linux only myself.
However, if we want more attention to Linux, we can't argue that way.
Companies see what's available and much used on Mac and Windows and if
Linux doesn't provide this, then for sure many companies aren't
interested in Linux as a market.
We can put lipstick on the pig, but that won't change the situation.

Regards,
Ralf