Re: [LAU] Output all audio on other computer's device?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 04 2012 - 13:46:47 EEST

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Grant <emailgrant@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> jackd also includes an alsa to jack bridge, as does the aforementioned
> >> zita-ajbridge. both are easy to use, the latter is very low latency
> >

> > "bridge" is sort of the wrong word. both these tools make ALSA-supported
> > audio interfaces available to JACK clients, in addition to whatever
> backend
> > the JACK server is using. they do not "bridge" between an application
> that
> > uses ALSA and JACK.
> >
> > sort of.
>
> Just so I understand, the practical result of this is that I can use
> an audio application which lacks jack support (perhaps iTunes?) and
> send its audio output to jackd?

on OS X, any application that uses CoreAudio for audio I/O (which basically
means every application except JACK native ones) can use JACK as its input
and/or output device. configuring this is generally trivial.

on Windows, any application that uses ASIO for audio I/O (which basically
means most pro-audio/music creation applications) can use JACK as its input
and/or output device. configuring this is generally easy.

on Linux, any application that uses GStreamer (or a layer above it), ffmeg,
the regular ALSA PCM API or PulseAudio's audio API can use JACK as its
input/output device. configuring this can range from easy to quite tricky.