Re: [LAU] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 14 2012 - 00:08:02 EEST

On 09/13/2012 01:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 13:45 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you remove pulseaudio?
>>
>> The universal default response to any problem with audio on linux is not
>> "remove pulseaudio". Sometimes there are audio problems that have
>> __nothing__ to do with pulse audio! Let's try to do some debugging
>> instead of guessing, please.
>
> Ubuntu Studio Precise ships with a jack-pulseaudio-bridge. Of course, my
> RME card can record, but not play when pulseaudio runs, but with the
> Ubuntu Studio Precise default, this running bridge thingy, my RME PCIe
> card didn't work.

Thanks for the explanation... I still find it hard to believe that pulse
audio will make the RME card fail _in the way it was described in the
thread_, but of course everything is possible.

> jack dbus also cause pain here.
>
> YMMV,

It does :-)
In my experience "HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped" has been caused
by broken versions of hdspmixer (that was the case until very recently).

-- Fernando