Re: [LAU] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Sep 14 2012 - 00:49:40 EEST

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 17:28 -0400, peter@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> >> It does :-)
> >> In my experience "HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped" has been caused
> >> by broken versions of hdspmixer (that was the case until very recently).
> >
> > For Ubuntu Studio 11.10 the hdspmixer wasn't in the package alsa-tools,
> > resp. alsa-tools-gui. Perhaps at this times it was buggy? I had to
> > compile it myself.
>
> but note that my multiface falls over just under jack, with no hdspmixer
> involved... see my original post, which shows the jackd error in the
> console.

spinymouse@email-addr-hidden:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0

is ok for my Precise and the HDSPe AIO.

If I start jack by QJackCtl, it's ok with and without D-Bus Interface
enabled.

HDSPMixer is version 1.11, it's the Precise default. I listed /usr/src,
I only compiled a kernel, nothing else, but the default lowlatency is ok
too.

I only removed the pulseaudio packages, but PA for sure didn't cause the
trouble you've got. I'm clueless. Usually I would recommend RME cards,
to get no or at least less trouble. I had to use Envy24 before, because
I couldn't pay for another card. FWIW Linux Envy24 support also is very
good, but I prefer RME.

I hope you don't need the tablet and the audio card at the same time,
until your issue isn't solved.

Around midnight here, so good night,
Ralf