Re: [LAU] Time for a new netbook. Advice?

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 14 2012 - 08:47:08 EEST

Netbooks pretty much died out, replaced by tablets or even
smartphones. If you're looking for something light-duty and can run
your apps in the cloud, you might look at a ChromeBook. It has an
industrial strength Chrome browser, of course, but if you don't have
readily available broadband or wireless it's pretty much a brick with
a keyboard. ;-)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> It's time to finally retire my 2008-vintage EEE 1000 netbook, and get one with a faster processor and dual cores.
>
> I won't need it for music-- the old one was plenty powerful enough for what I was doing anyway-- but I need it for work, and, java runs like an absolute pig on the old EEE (as does Firefox, and Chromium, and just about anything modern).
>
> I have come to love the layout of this old EEE though, the keyboard, the form-factor, and its low current consumption (about 1A @12v). So I'd like to keep those as similar as possible. If I could upgrade the processor and RAM and keep everything else, I would.
>
> So the EEE 1215N looks pretty good, and if I swap out its spinning-rust-platter drive with a cheap SSD, I can probably get the current consumption down.
>
> But I worry. I worry about graphics card not working, wifi not working, sound not working, sleep not working, etc.
>
> I looked at the DebianEEE wiki and it seems like not a lot has happened there in years.
>
> Any advice on a fast (approaching laptop performance) netbook?
>
> -ken

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr
How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?