Re: [LAU] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

From: Peter Lutek <peter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 14 2012 - 22:58:03 EEST

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 21:50:40 +0200

> On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 10:03 -0400, peter@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>> should i try jack1, instead of jack2?
>
> If I were you I would test Jack2 1.9.8 and current version of Jack1, but
> before doing this, I would follow Fernando's advice. His advice seems to
> be the only thought to hold water.
>
>> HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped
>
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 13:41 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> It can be a bug in alsa-tools that shows up with new kernels, that was a
>> problem a while back. Try getting the latest alsa-tools release
>> installed (1.0.26), I think I had to patch hdspmixer in previous
>> releases for it work fine with current kernels.
>>
>> -- Fernando
>
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 14:08 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> [snip]
>> In my experience "HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped" has been caused
>> by broken versions of hdspmixer (that was the case until very recently).
>>
>> -- Fernando
>
> Good luck!
> Ralf

well... that *might* be a solution for the hdspmixer issue, and i will test it for that. however, note also that jack is still failing for me even if i don't use hdspmixer at all, so there's definitely something else going on (as well).

thanks again for your help... it's frustrating to have audio hardware which has been rock-solid for me for years suddenly begin to fall over like this! i can only hope a solution will emerge...

cheers!
.pltk.