Re: [LAU] xruns no matter what

From: Sebastian Rose <s.rose@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 12:55:16 EEST

On 16/09/12 00:45, david wrote:
> On 09/15/2012 12:19 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

>>> Try disabling network devices?
>>>
>>> On a laptop, wireless drivers typically scan regularly for connections,
>>> causing extended interrupt handling problems ... of course, don't know
>>> if your desktop machine has any kind of wireless connection built in
>>> (Bluetooth?) but maybe?
>>
>> The desktop machine has no wireless hardware.
>
> Didn't really think it did, just wondered. Debian on my laptop loads a
> Bluetooth driver even though the laptop has no Bluetooth hardware. But
> my laptop installation has been migrated from machine to machine, so
> it's possibly just a remnant from earlier hardware.

Well it looks like I found the problem. I'm running 256 frames/period @
96kHz and 3 periods/buffer (8ms latency) now without xruns.
Turns out it was libffado's fault (or rather: the way I was building
it). I suspected as much since the xrun behaviour was consistent no
matter what Jack settings I was using. I'm using the pro-audio overlay
for Gentoo to build libffado from svn source. The package system was
building libffado with debugging information and without optimizations
(a bug in the ebuild file). Once I changed that, it _seems_ to be
running quite fine. Thanks everybody for your help.

best,
Sebastian