[LAU] jackd2 and X11/dbus

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 19:39:14 EEST

Is there any way (--nodbus?) of getting jackd2 with dbus built in to start
in a no X11 system?

I get this:
Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to
autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

from this:
jackd -v -dalsa -dhw:0 -p2048 -n3

I have an old box with minimal memory, speed, drive space, that I want to
experiment with (using old internal junk sound IF) with cli audio stuff as
well as netjack. (netjack is jackd2)

Or a way of setting up a dbus instance jackd can use. I have seen a script
called jackstart that does this, but the program it uses dbus-launch wants
X11 depends :P

Dbus use should be possible without X11 sessions anyway. I just don't know
how.

I would prefer not to have to use a roll my own version of Jackd so that I
have easy access to updates.

BTW, it would seem that with netjack, MIDI ports can be on a different
machine from Audio IF using a2j (a2j may be needed on more than one
machine if using apps that are alsa midi only on more than one machine).
Any holes in that logic? So two MIDI IFs on two machines should be usable
at the same time. Sync would not be an issue at the speeds MIDI runs at.
In fact it would give better response when using external synths as the
MIDI baud rate would be less of an issue.

Len

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net