Re: [LAU] [OT]: El cheapo, el-almost-stupido MP3-player

From: Gerhard Zintel <gerhard.zintel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 22 2012 - 17:46:09 EEST

Hey Julien,

On Friday 21 September 2012, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello mates!
> I've already lookd elsewhere. My MP3 player broke, but since I travel so
> much I'm really attached to it. Now I'm blind and thus hate displays by
> nature. I also dislike menus a lot, since you so easily get lost in them. I
> had a Creative Zenstone (one of the old models) so far. What I could do and
> am very attached to:
> increase/decrease volume
> previous/next track
> forward/rewind (could ease up on that)
> next folder
> play/pause/off
> It had a random function, but that might have gone rusty, I wouldn't
> know. any idea, if anything like that is still made nowadays? Sorry, to ask
> here, but it seems, that the typical shop assistent is more than
> overwhelmed by such demands, I had the feeling sometimes also by the name
> of these basic functionalities.
> Oh yes, the last great feature; Hook it up to the computer via USB,
> mount it, copy files onto it and unmount it, done. Do it on Linux, Mac,
> windows or anywhere else and it just works(TM).
> Thanks for suggestions. I've heard Sony ic recorders, but they don't
> look really promising and something with menus, but with a small firmwware
> hack to make it talk, though I'm not too sure yet about it's compatibility
> with all systems or even any other computer than my own, if I want to keep
> it accessible to me.
> Kind regards and thanks

like others and you already remarked, Rockbox seems the way to go. I am very
happy with the Sansa players especially the older Sansa e200 or the slightly
newer Sansa Fuze. They especially have a slot for micro sd cards so you can
easily extend internal memory.

Don't know if they are still available in the shops but they are very cheap at
ebay (about 40 €). You can even buy them with Rockbox pre-installed.

Gerhard