Re: [LAU] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

From: Peter Lutek <peter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2012 - 21:17:49 EEST

From: Michaİİ Koziarski <koshimazaki@fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:40:56 +0100

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 17:29, Peter Lutek wrote:
>> greetings!
>>
>> perhaps some of you use RME hdsp hardware. i'm wondering if you're
>> running into
>> issues like mine with recent kernels....
>>
>> i've got an hdsp multiface hanging off an expresscard adapter in a T520
>> thinkpad.
>> here's what's going on:
>>
>> hdspmixer locks up soon after starting, saying, "HwDep ioctl failed.
>> Metering
>> stopped"
>>
>> once that has happened, if i try to start jack, i get this:
>>
>> plutek@palnote:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0
>> jackdmp 1.9.9
>> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>> Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
>> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
>> control device hw:0
>> control device hw:0
>> audio_reservation_init
>> Acquire audio card Audio0
>> creating alsa driver ...
>> hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>> control device hw:0
>> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
>> capture-only mode
>> Cannot initialize driver
>> JackServer::Open failed with -1
>> Failed to open server
>>
>> alternately, if i start jack after a reboot *without* first starting
>> hdspmixer,
>> it runs for a few minutes (variable), then fails thusly:
>>
>> plutek@palnote:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0
>> jackdmp 1.9.9
>> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>> Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
>> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
>> control device hw:0
>> control device hw:0
>> audio_reservation_init
>> Acquire audio card Audio0
>> creating alsa driver ...
>> hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>> control device hw:0
>> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2
>> periods
>> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
>> little-endian
>> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
>> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
>> little-endian
>> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>> ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999183 usecs
>> JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...
>>
>> i'm on the aptosid distribution.
>> alsa-tools-gui is 1.0.25-2
>> although running jackd says "jackdmp 1.9.9", my installed debian package
> [...]

wow... thanks very much for this! indeed, *sometimes* my system behaves as you are describing on start-up, and pulling out the ExpressCard adapter returns it to normal. so, maybe this is heading in the right direction. it does make sense!

so, i've disabled ExpressCard power management in BIOS, and i'm watching jack run with my most recent kernel (Aptosid 3.5.4). so far, he hasn't fallen over...... ;-)

i'll let y'all know!

cheers!
.pltk.