Re: [LAU] usb-audio-2.0 / class compliance question

From: ben <brouits@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 05:00:50 EEST

Le 01/10/2012 22:15, Florian Hanisch a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I already posted this question on other lists, so maybe one or the other
> has seen it, I apologize for sending it again.
>
> I have been trying to connect a friend's soundcard (RME fireface UCX)
> to my linux computer (recent ubuntu 12.04 installation - NOT ubuntu
> studio, kernel 3.2.0-29-generic, ALSA version 1.0.25). RME claims that
> the device has a class compliance mode, so that it should be able to
> communicate with a linux system just using the USB-audio-2.0 standard
> (which, to my
> knowledge, is available on linux). This class compliance mode works
> when the device is connected to an apple computer.
>
> Pluging the device, I get the following messages from dmesg:
>
> [ 864.024093] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd
> [ 864.162776] usbaudio: unit 2: invalid UAC_FEATURE_UNIT descriptor
> [ 864.162831] snd-usb-audio: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5

As outputed in ths log, it appears the drivers fails to manage the sound
card: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5
My advice would be to get help from the ALSA men.
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug

RME Fireface UCX has not been tagged as supported by the alsa project,
i am sure they would be interested in having some debug info.

> The "lsusb - v" (quite lengthy, so I don't include it here) output lists
> the device, so it seems that it is recognized but can not be properly
> connected. It does not appear neither appear in the system settings nor
> in JACK.
>
> Am I missing some extra packages, libaries, ... to be able to have
> full USB-audio-2.0 support ? Do I have to change some kernel options ?

Maybe the snd-usb-audio driver has some parameters that would help to
obtain more precise debug information. If i type modinfo snd-usb-audio,
i can see:

parm: index:Index value for the USB audio adapter. (array of int)
parm: id:ID string for the USB audio adapter. (array of charp)
parm: enable:Enable USB audio adapter. (array of bool)
parm: vid:Vendor ID for the USB audio device. (array of int)
parm: pid:Product ID for the USB audio device. (array of int)
parm: nrpacks:Max. number of packets per URB. (int)
parm: async_unlink:Use async unlink mode. (bool)
parm: device_setup:Specific device setup (if needed). (array
of int)
parm: ignore_ctl_error:Ignore errors from USB controller for
mixer interfaces. (bool)

To test a param with the driver, unload it (modprobe -r), and manually
reload it with parameters in the command-line, using modprobe.