Re: [LAU] keeping same perceived level on mp3 files

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 08 2012 - 00:34:41 EEST

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 01:40:43PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sun, October 7, 2012 11:56 am, Atte André Jensen wrote:
>

> > After running "mp3gain -r *.mp3" on the same files as I tested with in
> > the original mail, and checking them with ebur128, it seems that the two
> > programs do not agree how to measure the perceived loudness. mp3gain
> > uses the replay gain algorithm, what ever that means. Any ideas whether
> > mp3gains measurements should fare worse than ebur128?
> >
> > The reason I ask is, that I'm tempted to just use "mp3gain -r *.mp3" :-)
>
> Use your ears. Close your eyes and listen. If you like what you hear use
> what makes it that way.

The two algorithms can be expected to produce different results,
in the sense that when you apply the replay gain adjustment then
the LU values are likely not to be zero, probably all positive.
But at least with the examples you posted (which have little
dynamic range), the LU values after replay gain should all be
close. Is that not the case ?

Ciao,

--
FA